Thursday, July 2, 2009

Worship Leader Tips-Love the Team

I had a blog up and I did not like it so I deleted it. I want to use this blog as a way of encouragement to my brothers and sisters that are leading worship. Ministry is getting tougher and tougher. Here are some ways that I feel work in the church setting.

1. Pastor your team. Be involved with what is going on in their lives. When they hurt you hurt with them. Celebrate their success and be there when they are walking through the tough times.

2. Develop relationships with them. If you only hangout during rehearsal time or worship time you are doing a great disservice to your team. Go to starbucks, hang out after church!!

3. Admit your weaknesses. It's OK. My team knows that I worry and when I worry I act a fool. It is a big fault of mine. But I have two guitarist Scott and David that encourage me and remind me who is in control.

4. In the event of a major screw-up. Say you are sorry, ask for forgiveness. But you have to truly mean it. They will know if you are just going through the motions.

5. Truly love your team and tell them that you do, even if they do not love you back, love them. It is important to Love God and Love Others.

6. Talk with them about the vision God has given you. Encourage them to buy in. If they do not buy in, it doesn't mean they are not spiritual, go back to God and rehash the vision. Maybe you missed it somewhere. If God gives the same vision and confirms it. Work one on one with those who have not yet bought in.

7. Surround yourself with awesome talented people who know more than you. They are out there work with them to see God do great things in your ministry. If you are intimidated by folks that are better ministry is going to be really tough for you.

8. Encourage you team (singers) to lead worship. It's ok for them lead the song. Set back and worship during the song while they lead it. It's OK if you are not leading every song on Sunday morning!

9. Input. Ask your team to bring you songs, YouTube or email them or bring a hard copy. You are not the only one God speaks to!

10. Finally, your worship band will never care how much you know until they know how much you care. Develop relationships.

How do I develop relationships with my worship team. First you have to realize that in churches with what I call a younger generation 20-45 realize they are busy. They have kids, career and other activities and responsibilities outside of church. You will drive our self crazy if you do not learn this. They may not be able to make the fellowship planned or hangout time try doing another one for those that can't come. Make it family friendly. Invite the kids and hangout with them as well. Also,be approachable let them know they can talk to you about anything and their concerns. I tell my team I want to be more mom (sounds kinda weird but my point is that your worship band needs to know you care!!) not dad. I want them to know that I care and I want to hear their concerns. How you react will get back so if you are a power tripping bear they will not come and talk to you. Again Love them.


I hope that this helps. My next blog will be rehearsal tips!!

Blessings,

Chris Kelley

No comments: